Rubicon Global offers solutions for all types of food waste and for different industries. Our current solutions are available in various regions and are the most sustainable alternatives that exist today. You can depend on Rubicon Global to continuously research and pilot new programs to find the best food waste solutions for our customers and the environment. While the ideal solution is to more carefully control the amount of food produced and distributed, there are many management techniques for diverting food waste from landfills.
Food Waste Complexities
- Food waste represents about 19% of the waste dumped in landfills, where it ends up rotting and producing methane, a greenhouse gas.
- Americans waste more than 40% of the food produced for consumption, which comes at an annual cost of $100 billion.
- On average, stores in the U.S. have a food waste rate of 8-10% (European stores waste half this amount).
- Excess food production leads to higher land utilization than necessary, increased transportation costs and significant waste of water and fertilizer.
- Meanwhile, more than one out of every 10 people in the U.S. does not have enough to eat.
Food Waste Solutions
If excess food is still safe to consume, we work with our customers to donate to local food banks. The Emerson Good Samaritan Food Donation Act, signed into law by President Bill Clinton, was created to make it easier to donate food by allowing donor liability only in cases of gross negligence.
Food Waste Conversion
Rubicon Global works with a network of vendors to create sustainable alternatives for food waste including:
- Source Reduction
- Anaerobic Digestion
- Aerobic Digestion
- Animal Feed
- Industrial Uses
- Liquid Fertilizer
Closing the Loop
We partner with our customers to close the loop on waste whenever possible. In many cases, we convert our customers’ food waste into organic compost, which fertilizes the same fields where it was originally grown. This alternative eliminates our customers’ dependency on purchasing compost from outside suppliers.