With a background in logistics and working for iconic brands like UPS and Coca-Cola, Rubicon’s Director of Innovation and Hauler Relations, Ameer Solomon, joined the team at Rubicon two years ago. A former college athlete with an insatiable appetite for surf and turf, Ameer has been instrumental in growing and maintaining Rubicon’s robust hauler network. Since he’s been at Rubicon, Solomon has sparked a deep passion for environmental sustainability, fostering relationships with our haulers, and creating the best possible prices for partners.
Let’s get to know Ameer Solomon:
1. What is your role at Rubicon? How long have you been with the company?
I started at Rubicon two years ago as a vendor manager and now I am the Director of Innovation and Hauler Relationships for the western part of the country.
2. What is one new thing you learned this week in your role?
I am learning a lot more about our customers’ need for organics recycling. With that, I am continuously learning how we can create and innovate these solutions for customers that could really benefit and utilize the program.
3. What sparked your passion for sustainability?
My passion for sustainability comes from wanting to do right by our environment. Since being at Rubicon, I’ve seen ways we help customers reuse, reduce, and repurpose things. It’s not only the sustainable way to do things, but it can cut cost too! It’s a win-win.
4. How do you contribute to the RubiCulture?
I think that my contribution is not only trying to get the best service providers for our customers but really making sure our haulers understand that we are looking to change the culture of the industry. I think that work translates into our office culture. We are always growing and evolving.
5. Did the fact that Rubicon is a B Corporation play into your decision to come aboard?
Yes, it did. As I went through the employment process, I learned about our certification. Although I did not know too much about B Corporations before joining Rubicon, the fact that we are a B Corp has definitely played a role in my wanting to stay here and continue to grow with the company.
6. What is one piece of advice you heard outside of the office that you apply to your work?
“Let your work do the talking for you.” I try to work cross-functionally with several departments. We all do this as not to get the accolades or recognition but because we are here to find solutions, work towards goals, and get the job done. Stay selfless in your efforts and eventually you will get recognized and rewarded for your hard work!
7. If any actor (dead or alive) could play you in the movie of your life, who would you cast and why?
Denzel Washington. He’s very cool, he’s one of the greatest actors of our generation, and he’s super versatile in his roles.
8. If you could play any professional sport: what would it be and why?
I am a former college track athlete but my main passion is football. I would want to be a star wide receiver or quarterback for the Atlanta Falcons.
9. You’re on a deserted island and a helicopter drops down one food for you daily, what would you eat every day for the rest of your life?
Surf and Turf! Every day.
10. What is one eco-responsible action that you try to incorporate into your everyday life?
I make sure I am compliant with our in-office sustainability procedures and I recycle at home. I also make sure to educate my friends and family about waste diversion and small changes we could make to be better.
11. Who is your favorite B Corporation and why?
Rubicon! We are changing the industry and making a difference.
Looking to join the Rubicon team? Take a look through the open opportunities on our Careers page.